Official records of the Pieroth family date back to the year 1675. The Pieroths have been known as farmers and vintners in Burg Layen since 1705. The family's seat near Burg Layen was built in 1731. Since the year 1926 wine was filled into bottles, which was a innovation after being sold for decades in barrels only. At the same time, Philipp Ferdinand Pieroth began to send wine to his customers. This marked the birth of direct selling, which was improved in 1953 when Elmar and Kuno Pieroth had the idea of offering customers the opportunity to taste the wines in their own premises. This was the start of the company's growth to its present size and international reputation.